English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Sunday, July 12, 2009

Withering Heights

Looking Down (Metaphorically) On Giants

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


The frost last week was pretty severe, with temperatures dropping below zero in many Melbourne areas and yes, there was plenty of ice on the cars. But I remember being astounded when told that frost actually works well with some plant varieties.

It’s certainly worked well with these beauties, which I shot in the early morning light at the city’s Alexandra Gardens. I’m not sure what they’re called, but I know they grow to about four metres in some cases, with enormous heads of triangular blossoms.

These were in the early stages of blooming and I guess they’ll be at full stretch when spring comes around in just over six weeks. Still, they were fairly tall and I didn’t want to shoot them while looking up into a sky that wasn’t very bright.

So I took one of the main walkways and found a spot where I could shoot downwards, emphasising the striking colour against the greenery.

Visit Luiz Santilli Jr for the home of Today's Flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment