English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Bench of the week (20)

This week we are back in Lindås, north of Bergen, at a small place called Vassel. The bench is as simple and natural as it can be - plain timber along the foundation of this old house. Just the place so sit and enjoy the late night Northern atmosphere. I have shown the view from here before.

There are indeed two of these benches

And it is not an ordinary house either. It was once a a schoolhouse, built in 1886 in the traditional style of the area. It served its purpose for many years, but was closed down some time in the 60's. Later, a few local enthusiasts started a campaign to preserve the school as a museum. They collected relevant furniture, equipment and teaching material, and they tried to recreate a late 19th Century school as far as possible. It became Lindås Skulemuseum. Then it was given to the local authorities for future care.

However, as it is all to plain to see, the local authorities has not been very good at this and I must admit that I do not have high hopes for the future with the present political leadership in this area. Not all people see the worth of history.

Which is a pity, since my grandfather was once a teacher here.

My own interest in benches stems from the site published by PERBS and Kerri and the site published by Malyss. Also, others have shown an interest in the subject, so I have started to take photos of benches when I "stumble" across one and post them on Fridays. It is not a "proper" meme, but if anyone else would like to join me in publishing benches on Fridays, they are of course welcome to do so. Give me a hint and I'll come visiting - summer permitting :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment