English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Monday, August 3, 2009

Stare Case

Photographers Are Life’s Translators

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Sometimes I get asked why I enjoy taking photographs of "ordinary’" sights. I always smile when that happens - because there is really no such thing as an ordinary sight. It’s all in the mind really.

Beauty does not only exist in mountains or lakes. It literally is everywhere - but it depends on what catches our fancy. There is the ability in all of us to see wonder in everyday objects, not just in dewdrop-bedecked cobwebs that look like jewelled tiaras.

Think of the photographer’s role as being akin to that of a translator. I would not be able to understand Swahili, for instance, unless I had someone translating for me. And, along the same line of thought, a photographer can sometimes show you a sight that you might not stop and admire on your own.

So can you guess what I’ve photographed here? It’s simply a staircase. Just a handrail supported by vertical bars. And just a wall. But when you put them together, the sum total of what you see can sometimes be out of the ordinary.

Visit the creative team behind That's My World Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment