English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Friday, September 4, 2009

Treasure Vault

Orange And Gold (And A Touch Of History)

Photographs copyright: DAVID McMAHON


Late last week, I wondered if it would be possible to shoot a part of Melbourne's architectural history - the lobby of 333 Collins Street. So I rang the number on the website, asked permission and I followed the procedure set out. Shortly after, I received the all-clear.

Soon, I'll post the photos of the stunning vaulted ceiling, but for the purposes of this week's Photo Hunt theme, I've selected one of the images I shot that evening.

Sometimes, the intricacy of craftsmanship and achitectural design can be accentuated by use of a silhouette. I was struck by the detail in this filigree-like arch, one of many in the lobby. I shot some frames of the entire arch against the huge vaulted ceiling, but I wanted something "different".

That's when I decided to use a tight frame to accentuate the arch against the graceful silhouette of one of the imposing columns. By positioning myself carefully, I was even able to use the flame-like reflection of light on the rounded section of the arch.

Visit TNChick's Photo Hunt. Today's theme: "Orange''.

No comments:

Post a Comment