English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Creative problem solving



When building our house, one of the most time consuming choices for us was light fixtures. Our architect drew our house as a "new old house" and so there are very few can lights (they are only in the basement playroom). So, we had to pick out lights for the entire house - it was a lot of lights. I spent hours on websites and even more hours at lighting showrooms - but I loved every minute of it!

One of the things that jumped out at me immediately and in fact I asked every lighting salesperson I met how to solve this problem - was what to do about the ugly fake wax candle sleeves(often with really drippy fake wax, like Disney world - yucky). I began to notice the ugly ones everywhere - in showrooms, in my own house, in magazines, online. One salesperson referred me to Lamp Arts on Howell Mill, they sell fake beeswax covers that look better than the drippy wax ones. I even googled candle covers and didn't get much of a result (this was in 2007).

What I don't like:


And then one day in the Fall of 2008 my google search revealed a treasure - Kaarskoker. Created by April Pride Allison, Kaarskoker means candle cover in Dutch. The next month I read about them in House Beautiful magazine. It was the answer to my candle sleeve problem.

Please check out the website (warning, I spend hours on this site looking at all of the choices!)for all of the options and many photos, even before and after. Here are some teasers:

from the kaarskoker website:





From my own house:









Couldn't resist this last one from the kaarskoker website:


What a great way to add a punch of color, or a touch of whimsy!

No comments:

Post a Comment