English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Thursday, March 4, 2010

World Book Day - a tribute to writer pals and the pre-published author revealed...

Are you reading a book? Writing a book? Editing a book? Buying a book? You should be - it's World Book Day! Well, it is if you're in the UK and Ireland - which we know I'm not, but so what, it's where most of my friends are!

As for me? I'm agonising over yet more rewrites, mulling over feedback from my incredibly wonderful writer pals and critique partners and going squiffy-eyed in the process. Yes, I know, it seems endless.

To mark World Book Day, the new Author's Hotline has been launched in the UK as a unique way of letting authors connect directly with their readers. I've been delighted to find loads of my Facebook pals listed and have had a wonderful time browsing their pages - and had a damned good giggle - there's nothing quite like getting a chilren's writer to answer a set of form questions about themselves.... I'm also rather awed and honoured to be able to say I actually, in one way or another, have come to know these very special people, some of whom - courtesy of various social networking platforms - have become good friends and lovely writerly pals. (What, I ask myself, would I do without Web 2.0?!)

They're amazing authors and illustrators and I'd like to pay tribute to each of them. So here's to, in no particular order, the inimitable... Candy Gourlay, Jon Mayhew, Gillian Philip, Lucy Coats, Anne Rooney, Keren David, Fiona Dunbar, Miriam Halahmy, Sue Eves, Paeony Lewis, Jackie Morris, Sarwat Chadda, Tabitha Suzuma, David Thorpe, Harriet Goodwin, Mary Hoffman, Saviour Pirotta, Gill James, Nicola Morgan, Shoo Rayner , Addy Farmer, Dianne Hofmeyr, Sarah McIntyre

There's also this man, one Philip Ardagh, who for some reason isn't on this list - but it's probably because his beard got in in way - again.

I also, on World Book Day, salute all my other wonderful pre-published writer pals and my critique group partners - I'd list them all, but there's a danger of leaving someone off the list and committing a major writerly offence. You know who you are - and you are all totally wonderful! You all make the journey so worthwhile! Thank you!

Of course, as a pre-published author, waiting in the wings, I couldn't resist answering the same questions as put to those above by Author's Hotline - you know, by way of preparation...

Q: What were you like at school?
Junior School: shy and bold, good at everything, a leader, bright, sporty
High School: shy, withdrawn, stroppy, recalcitrant – what makes you think I ended up at entirely the wrong school…?!

Q: What did you want to be when you were a child?
A prima ballerina a la Dame Margot Fonteyn. An actor, an archaelogist, an architect, an interior designer. If I’d known writing was actually an option, I’d have wanted to do that - since I did it all the time anyway.

Q: Which three words describe you best?
Courageous, compassionate, nutty.

Q: What is your favourite word?
Two words – “sibilant susurration”.

Q: What makes you cringe?
Sago pudding… and things with too many legs… and offensive people (who are often a lot like things with too many legs…) .

Q: What are you afraid of?
“The only thing we have to fear is fear itself”.

Q: When did you last have a really good laugh?
This morning.

Q: What is your most treasured possession?
A much read, well-loved copy of Linnets and Valerians by Elizabeth Goudge – and my ancient teddies.

Q: What do you do as a hobby?
Photography (you'd never have guessed, right...?).

Q: What strange habits do you have?
I talk to myself, but I don’t think it’s that strange…

Q: What’s your favourite food?
Really, really fresh salmon sashimi and dark chocolate – though preferably not together…

Q: What do you day dream about?
Selling a million books! And new stories, and the one I’m working on.

Q: What’s the most outrageous thing you’ve done?
Um, I’d really better not answer that…

Q: What profession other than yours would you like to attempt?
Film director.

Q: Do you feel younger or older than your current age?
Younger!

Q: If you could meet one person, dead or alive, who would it be?
Einstein and Granny Weatherwax (of course, she’s real!).

Q: What quality do you most admire in a person?
Integrity.

Q: What is the most interesting place you have ever visited?
Just one? You must be joking! Istanbul. Jerusalem, Florence, Budapest.

Q: What is the best advice anyone has ever given you?
Other peoples’ opinions of you are just that, opinions.

Q: What would you most like to change about yourself?
My inclination to stress too much.

Q: What has life taught you?
That it’s a journey and an adventure and death is not the end.

Q: How long have you been a writer?
Since I was seven, when I wrote my first play…

Q: Was there a specific moment in your life when you decide to become a writer?
Yes. Lying on the floor of TV studio, rewriting a video script in about 1987…

Q: Where do you do your writing?
In my study, surrounded by books and photos and notes.

Q: Where do you get your greatest ideas from?
Dreams, life experiences, other stories, usually whilst standing in the shower, staring at the sky or dozing. Oh, and from the Story Gods.

Q: Which of your own characters do you most identify with?
All of them, in different ways.

Q: What do you do to combat “writers’ block”?
Nothing, I wait for it to pass, I’m not really sure I believe in “writer’s block”. If I need ideas to connect and flow together, I stand in the shower or go to the gym.

Q: What was your favourite book as a child?
Linnets and Valerians and The Little White Horse, both by Elizabeth Goudge.

Q: What book do you wish you had written?
I don’t want to have written books other people have written, but if I must answer that then, The Hobbit and the Discworld series.

Q: What advice would you give to aspiring authors?
Read, read, read. Write, write, write and then rewrite and rewrite and rewrite.
And watch and listen to the world around you. And have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment