English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Monday, July 13, 2009

The Best Little Oar House In Texas

Row, Row, Row Your Boat

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON



The Yarra River is more than just the waterway on which Melbourne’s founding fathers decided to build the city. It is an integral part of the city’s sporting culture, and on its banks are English elms (rather than Australian native trees) which were planted by English colonists who hankered for familiar foliage.

This shot was taken just before dawn last Friday, when the river took on an interesting silver-pink hue as it reflected the clouds high above. I was walking across Princes Bridge when I looked down and saw this crew rowing towards the Melbourne Cricket Ground.

Naturally, I had to stop to take the shot. I took two frames, unsure of whether my reactions would actually be quick enough to capture the concentric pools of water left by the passage of each oar.

Looks like the result wasn't too shabby. The thing I really like about this low-light, quick-motion shot is that you can still see the swirls and eddies left by the previous dip of the oars into the water. Fast swirls. And also, er, fast eddies.

Visit the creative team behind That's My World Tuesday.

No comments:

Post a Comment