English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Sound Of Silence

Keeping Track Of Technology

Photograph copyright: DAVID McMAHON


I clearly remember the day that my perception of silence between soundtracks was re-defined. If you’re familiar with the era of vinyl records, you would remember the intermittent scratchiness that pervaded the long moments between tracks on each record.

But the first time I heard a CD played through an amplifier, I remember thinking how clear the sound reproduction was – so clear, in fact, that I could actually pick the sound of individual instruments.

Then as the track came to an end, I actually raised my eyebrows, because there was none of the vinyl-type scratchiness. There was real silence between tracks. That, to me, was the real definition of the quantum leap of recording technology. Yes, the sound of each track was great. But more importantly, the quality of silence on the CD really broke new ground.

It’s been years since I’ve seen a vinyl record, but this one brought back memories of the wonderful wooden-encased Grundig player that we had when I was growing up. I remember only too well the first time I was entrusted with the important duty of actually placing the stylus (or needle, as it was commonly called) on the record and listening to that slight crackle before the first track actually began playing.

The real reason I took this shot is not just because of the wonderful light across the record’s surface. I shot this angle because you can actually see the clear, ungrooved strips that produced silence between the different tracks.

Visit MamaGeek and Cecily, creators of Photo Story Friday.

No comments:

Post a Comment