English French German Spain Italian Dutch Russian Portuguese Japanese Korean Arabic Chinese Simplified

Friday, December 3, 2010

UK Library Cuts - not my place to talk but I'll talk anyway


As a child I grew up on books. A few were bought for me, but many others were taken on loan from the public library. I remember the thrill of tramping up the worn wooden stairs and creeping between the bookshelves, my hands running over the book spines, stroking them. The local public library was a magical place of adventure. My tiny junior school library was even more magical - a large, pitch-painted, timber "wendy house" set under two towering pines. I was "librarian" for at least one term each year of junior school and I remember feeling so proud of my duties. The high school library was just as special - a darkened, hallowed space which offered me more books than I could dream of - it became my sanctuary, the place I escaped to each lunchtime.

I was privileged to have these places to go to, to find and read the books that I did. They fuelled my imagination, enhanced my love of reading and of learning, and ultimately they inspired me to do what I do now - to write for children. Critically, in the instance of this blog post, every book I read was written by a British author - Frances Hodgson Burnett, Elizabeth Goudge, E Nesbitt, Enid Blyton and many more... These writers and their books made my world a richer place, they showed me how deal with complex ideas and situations in a way which I could understand. They helped me to grow and I am privileged to have been able to access them.

By the time I reached university, where I spent hours in the several campus libraries, I realised what an incredible resource libraries were. I discovered interlibrary loans, archives and an absolute wealth of information that informed me. I could never have afforded to have bought all the books I devoured and I am deeply grateful to the library system for furthering my education, and in so many ways. Because this is what libraries do, this is what libraries are - incredible resources of information, education, enlightenment and personal growth

I am thus deeply saddened when I read the blog posts of so many of my British friends about planned library cuts in the UK. It strikes me as the most short-sighted move imaginable. It strikes me doubly, living in a place where libraries are in short supply and books are not a priority for children because they're too expensive and we have so many more pressing basic needs like education, healthcare and housing. The UK has something we do not. Aside from an established education and library infrastructure, it has a cultural love of books and it has produced some of the most remarkable storytellers and fiction writers in the world. It has something which has shaped the both the British and Commonwealth cultural landscape and continues to do so. The UK has, through its library system, something so precious to give its young people, something we, sadly, do not yet have. It has a culture of reading, where we do not. UK libraries serve the entire populace, we have considerably fewer libraries and ours serve only a minority. So when I read that the UK is planning on cutting its libraries, I want to smack my forehead, bang several heads together and ask if the UK government has taken leave of its senses. Does it not realise how reading fuels a child's imagination and helps them deal with the world? Does it not realise that reading develops the future capacity for learning and understanding? Does it not realise that in developing this capacity for learning and understanding in builds a nation and forges future leaders? And does it not realise the fundamental role and multiple roles its libraries play in this process?

While here, we battle to get people to realise the critical importance of reading fiction to enhance and enrich young lives, and call for libraries to be built, in the UK the goverment is taking what it has and is simply trashing it. If there was a way to take all UK libraries and transport them to Africa, I would gladly do it - such is the richness the UK government seeks to throw away, and to the great detriment of its populace and its future.

Truly, to take this precious thing and to cast it aside is nothing short of a singular and myopic travesty.

I realise, of course, that it is not really my place to talk out on this topic (not that that has stopped me!), so I refer you to some excellent posts on the subject of library closures written by friends.


Notes from the Slushpile - Bye Bye Libraries. Bye Bye civilization by Teri Terry
Notes from the Slushpile - Fight for our Libraries by Candy Gourlay
Central Scribble City - Library Emergency - The Unkindest Cuts of All by Lucy Coats
Philip Ardagh on Why Libraries Really, Really Matter.
Almost True
- Who Uses Libraries by Keren David
Jon Mayhew on Can I borrow a Book?
Sarwat Chadda on Me and My Library
Nina Kilham on Libraries? Old Fashioned?
Mrs Bung Why You Should Care About Libraries by Kathryn Evans
Who Ate My Brain Thoughts from a Reluctant Library User by Nick Cross
KM Lockwood An Open Letter to MPs
Fifteen Days Without A Head on Why Libraries are Important by Dave Cousins
A Blogging Writer on Library Closures by Bryony Pearce
Sue Hyams on For the Love of Libraries

There are also several worthy comments and letters on The Campaign for the Book Facebook page. Also see Alan Gibbons' Campaign for the Book blog

And an erudite piece by Michael Rosen, the previous incumbent of the position of the UK's Children's Laureate.

Also take a look Voices for the Library which promotes the libraries in the UK.


If you are British and have read this - please, do something to support the fate of your libraries - and your country. Write to your MPs responsible for Culture and libraries, write to your local MP. Blog about it, Tweet about it. If you care about this, let your voice be heard. Don't wait until it is too late and too many of your libraries have gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment